Thursday, August 15, 2013

Gotta Love FREE DIY Spray Paint Caddy!

Ohhh blog-land how I have missed you!  These past few weeks have been filled to the brim with projects big and small that I have been dying to share with you guys.  But first things first, who doesn't love a 100% free DIY project that solves clutter issues AND packs a punch of pretty?!  I know this girl does.  So today I'm going to show you how I tamed a portion of my ever-growing spray paint collection completely free with things I'm sure you already have laying around your house as well.

Step 1: The Realization
This whole endeavor began as I was clearing out my storage closet and simply had too many spray paint cans to fit into my normal storage hide-aways (i.e. craft box, magazine files, etc.).  I didn't want to buy anything because 1. I'm cheap and 2. I knew it would probably either end up looking plain or manly, neither of which were on my agenda.  So I started looking around the casa, when my eyes landed on THIS...
My husband brews his own beer and as he has been getting more interested in beer in general, we've always got one of these containers laying around.  I saw the empty case and wondered how a spray paint bottle might fit.  The answer? Like Perfection! I was so excited.  After a quick coat of valspar satin white paint + primer I was half way there.
(and yes I am fully embarrassed at how poorly this photo turned out...It's a work in progress)

Step 2: Beautifying
Organization is great but, at least for me, if it's pretty-it's permanent.  That is to say if I add a pattern or cute label or anything that rings my beauty buzzer, it is approximately 874% more likely to remain organized and in use.  So for this guy I wanted to keep it simple but still add a bit of panache.  I wondered what sort of word would be a cute decorative addition for my blank canvas? I went with the word "Spritz" but anything works as long as it fits really.  Using pictures if you have younger kids around your home can be helpful too.  Maybe even add a piece of clip art in the corner of a parent and child so that they know to ask for mom or dad's help before digging in? The sky's the limit really!  But for my simple "Spritz" label all I did was grab a piece of plain cardstock, chose a font, and put it through my electric cutter to make a template.  I love this cutter but if you don't have one, Michaels and Jo-Anne Fabrics and all of those stores sell stick on letters you can paint around as well for cheap!  So I taped on my template,
desperately attempted to crop out my hot mess manicure...failed, then used a sponge brush to pounce (love that word!) on some pretty aqua colored acrylic paint.  Pulled my template away and this is what it looked like!
I loaded my brand spankin' new caddy up with paints and here it is in its new home,
And since I know you all came to see some sweet caddy action...

BOOM! Clean, organized, portable (cough...adorable...cough) and best of all FREE!  I hope this helps you guys tame some of your own collections and I love to hear from you, so if you have a method that helps keep your DIY materials together please let me know!  :)  

2 comments:

  1. Great idea! And I know I can find a few of these containers lying around in my house. Quick question - did you actually paint the cardboard container, or spray paint it? And did you do the inside of the container as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne-Marie I love that name! So pretty. To answer your question, I spray painted that bad boy! I used Valspar Satin White paint + primer spray and covered it in 3 thin coats including the inside portion of the case. The spray just made it so much faster, plus I got to play spray paint inception lol. I did however use acrylic paint for the "spritz" logo and just pounced it on, but if you have steady hands you could definitely free-hand it. Thanks for the read!

      Delete