Saturday, August 24, 2013

Clear The Chaos-A lesson in entropy

Entropy  en·tro·py (n): A measure of the disorder or randomness in a closed system

Full disclosure- I am a nerd.  I like science, I got my degree in it.  So most things relate somehow back to my scientific background; and no other concept hit home quite like entropy.  It is the universe's inclination toward chaos and disorder.  So, for example, if you don't put any energy to picking up your room it naturally becomes messy.  Or, in other words, order requires energy!

The question is, how?  We are so busy nowadays that we have to get the most bang for our energy buck, which will be different for everyone, but hopefully you will find this method useful :)

Today i'm going to share another simple project that I have used in my entropy fighting arsenal! A quick fix for a cluttered sink. Now for the best part, pictures! Please no judgment on just how cluttered this area has become lol, just trying to keep these posts realistic :)






























So needless to say, entropy is alive and well in the Banks' household :/  BUT the fix for this crazy mess of a sink was super easy, just add a towel bar!  Any type of towel bar will do, this particular one I found NIB at a thrift store for $3.50 SCORE!  I got it home and mounted it according to the instructions and started digging in my craft closet for these small drapery clips that I bought for another project that just didn't work out (happens to us all!).  Now all that was left to do was find some cute containers!  I fell in love with these candle holders from ikea, not only because they are gorgeous but at $1.99 a pop you can't beat 'em!  I just clipped in my lovely new containers and VIOLA!

Only one little problem, look down...further...to the left...there! Not one but two not so attractive items remained.  If we didn't have such hard water and get the limescale build up on our sinks so easily, I could have left some things around the sink, but alas, we do.  So I embarked on finding a quick and easy container around the house that would fit the bill/candle holder.  Also I really try to tie up any loose ends before I move on from a project, so I wanted to dig up something quick and (of course) free.  Low and behold I find a baby shampoo container that fits perfectly!  I just poured the remaining shampoo into a jar, peeled off the label, and hit it with some goo-gone.  


Then filled it with my remaining dish soap and loaded up cute candleholder #3, below is a look at the final product~!


So there you have it, one quick, simple, DIY solution to fighting off entropy in your home!  Please share any easy fixes that have worked for you, and most of all, stay strong- keep up the fight- it is a noble battle :)

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment