Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Get Hooked

So it has been a whirlwind July complete with visitors, vacations, and all sorts of adventures.  I am currently in the process of creating a well deserved vanity area (mostly because sitting on the floor at the end of the bed next to the dog stairs and trash can weren't exactly putting me in the mood to perfect my cat-eye...).  But until I can unveil it to you in all of its glory, I want to share one of my favorite types of projects with you.

You gotta love quick easy DIY fixes that take no more than 10-15 minutes because they can make such a difference in a space and keep your motivation/inspiration levels tip top.  This project was aimed at providing us with some desperately needed cabinet door vertical storage so I wouldn't have to make a 5 point star around my kitchen every time I needed to slice an apple, and  at the whopping price of $1 you really can't beat it!

So to start I went to one of my favorite spots, the 99 cent store.  I along with many of you I'm sure am constantly amazed at the things you can buy here for only a dollar, including this little gem
These were in the shower hook section of the store and give you a lot of hold for heavier kitchen items as opposed to the single adhesive hooks you can buy there.  That being said, I've never been much of a fan of white and beige, it needed something to make it stand out. So I just took a little ink pen and was able to pop off those little beige buttons like so.. 

Initially I tried to cover them in washi tape as they were, but the tan was a bit too dark to let the patterns show through, but a quick coat of white out later they were ready to wrap.    
                               




So next I cut small squares from my sheets of washi, ( this packis from The Paper Source) and tucked the corners in underneath.  Because these hooks are going to be used for kitchen items with some weight to them I wanted to make sure they were extra sturdy so I just secured them with a dab of hot glue for good measure.




 Easy breezy right?!   Here it is in its new home already being put to work, such a fun pop of color against the dark wood.  I just love little design surprises like this.  What about you though readers, any quick 10 minute fixes that brighten your days? I'd love to hear 'em!




No comments:

Post a Comment